Friday, October 25, 2013

Song of Drar and Murin: Game 2

I managed to squeeze in a game of SODAM on Wednesday evening.

The scenario is based on the Moria fight scene from The Fellowship of the Ring: the dwarves are trapped in a room with a troll and some goblins on the other side of the door, and must make a break for it.

Hmm, quite a few choke points there...

Lucky die-rolls put the attackers in a side-room - time to make a break for it!

The troll falls down in the first combat, and won't get up for many turns. The slayer holds off the goblin warriors while the rest push on to the next room.

The third room is empty! What luck! Let's lug it, boys - I think I can hear the troll coming...

Uh-oh. This doesn't look good...

The dwarves are caught in a choke point and unable to bring their full force to bear.

Until a warrior scores a Gruesome Kill on one of the goblins, which sends the rest fleeing.



The troll gains on the dwarf bowmen, who try to hold him off with their arrows, while the warriors clear the goblins guarding a line of rubble in the fifth room.

The warriors cross the obstacle and clear the last room, but the bowmen, needing two successful activations on 4+, are stuck! Finally, Murin runs back to motivate them...

The end position. Miraculously, none of the dwarves were killed.

The game took about 90 minutes and lasted a little over 30 turns. I gave myself a target of 4 turns per tile, which means while they all survived, the dwarves failed the mission.

The time limit does make the game more challenging and exciting. I am a little disappointed by the troll's performance, but when led by a Goblin Leader, I think he will be deadlier.

I think I will introduce the Goblin Leader in the next game...

2 comments:

SteveHolmes11 said...

I often wondered about a printed floor for some types of game.

Your tiles are clearly a quality product, but it's amazing how easily I can believe the adventure with 3D figures in a 2D environment.

Most impressive.

captain arjun said...

Well, the tiles are from a games company with lots of resources and experience. :)