Thursday, September 05, 2013

Donald Featherstone, 1918 ~ 2013


One of the most cherished books in my wargaming collection is Donald Featherstone's "Featherstone's Complete Wargaming".

It was given to me by my friends who visited England more than 20 years ago. Back then the book cost quite a bit for us students, so it was all the more appreciated.

Years later, shortly after the Don had suffered a heart attack, another friend visited England and we sent him on an embassy with a gift and our well-wishes to the Don and to let him know how his works made wargamers out of kids thousands of miles away - he replied with this message:

To the wargaming lads in Singapore,

Your wonderful gift from out of the blue and the kind thought that goes with it, have given me one of the most pleasant surprises I have ever had. It is so satisfying to find out that the mutual interest we share links us across the world and has done so for so long. 

I am getting along very well and fully expect to be around looking over you all for a long time to come.

Thank you so much for giving me so much happiness.



Yours sincerely
DON
FEATHERSTONE


Amongst wargamers of our generation who mourn him today perhaps not much needs to be said about the man and how his works influenced the hobby and us, but I do wonder when our generation has passed if anyone will remember the Don or his works. Perhaps that is not really important - as long as wargaming remains, his legacy will remain.

No comments: